Every year, many people will make resolutions to make themselves better. Whether it be to quit smoking, to lose weight, to learn another language, or something else entirely… the goal is to always better oneself. Please don’t forget about the health of your smile when you make those resolutions! If it has been a while since you’ve been to a dentist or if you’ve been putting off treatment because of anxiety, fear, busy schedule or finances, don’t let the excuses keep you from the smile you deserve. At Capstone Dental we have answers to all of those excuses! We have a professional caring staff and dentists to put your fears at ease. We have early morning and lunch-time appointments available for those with busy schedules. And we offer 0% patient financing through CareCredit for those who qualify. So, come check us out in our downtown Columbus office and see what modern, personalized dental care is all about!
I heard the other day the the second phase of the Columbus Commons project will be completed by 2014. The City Center Mall was razed, a park has been built, and this summer the amphlitheater will be completed for outdoor concerts. The next development that is great for downtown and our dental practice is the construction of 300 apartments and street level retail that will be built facing High St along the West edge of the park. The Atlas building on the corner of High and Long is slated to be renovated and converted to apartments/condos and the Neighborhood Launch project at Gay and 4th Sts is expanding. As a business owner and dentist in downtown Columbus, I couldn’t be more excited about these developments. Of course, we are here to be available and provide convenient dentistry for all the busy office workers, but having a boom in residential development is great for our dental practice as well. With more people living downtown, a neighborhood culture will arise and we will be ready for all those new residents looking for a dentist in downtown Columbus Oh.
Do you have fillings, crowns, bridges or dentures that are more than 15, 20, or even 30 years old? Dentistry has come a long way in the past 30 years and we are using more biocompatible, life-like restorations. We have more convenient, comfortable procedures and the results look like you haven’t had anything done. Instead of old, failing silver fillings that were placed years ago, we can now bond porcelain inlays, onlays and crowns giving you a much more natural look. You use your mouth to smile, talk, eat, kiss and Capstone Dental wants to give you the smile you deserve. One that will look amazing and function great for the rest of your life.
To accomplish these regenerative procedures Capstone Dental has brought CEREC’s one day crown system to our downtown office. No more temporaries, no gooey impressions, no waiting two weeks to get your permanent crown back from the laboratory. Now in only ONE appointment we can remove old filling materials or any new decay, image the teeth with a camera, design, fabricate and deliver your new restorations. The procedure is very precise and we are able to keep quality control throughout the entire process because everything is done in one visit at our office.
So if your mouth is a museum with restorations from who knows when, come to Capstone Dental and see the many advancements that have taken place since those old silver fillings were done.
Have you been wanting to brighten those not-so-pearly whites but don’t know which whitening method to choose? Discussed below are different methods of teeth whitening and drawbacks and benefits of each type. The three main types of whitening are:
1. In-office whitening such as ZOOM or Pola Office
2. Custom fitted bleaching trays with prescription strength gel
3. White Strips or other over the counter systems
1. With in-office whitening, the idea is to jumpstart your natural shade to a brighter white in a short period of time. Usually 1-2 hrs in the dental chair. The gums and soft tissue are protected with a barrier and the dental hygienist or assistant will apply the gel 3-4 times during your visit. This in-office whitening process can be accompanied by a bright light that is placed close to your mouth. Some systems, such as ZOOM claim the light further activates its gel, but most systems do not use a light. Usually coupled with this treatment are custom take home trays and gel to finish the whitening process over the next couple of weeks to get you to your brightest shade. Patients pay a premium to get this accelerated whitening. Office prices for in-office and custom take home whitening can range from $400-$800 or more. Remember that you are paying to get a brighter smile as fast as possible, under the supervision of the dentist’s office.
2. Custom fitted white trays can be coupled with the in-office whitening procedure, or be a method all in their own. Impressions of your upper and lower teeth are taken and then soft custom trays are made from the molds. The take home prescription strength gel is applied to the inside of the trays and they are worn for 40mins-1hr daily for about two weeks. During that time, you may experience some sensitivity. Anti-sensitivity toothpastes are recommended and if sensitivity becomes too severe discontinue usage until your symptoms subside. After 2-4 weeks you are going to be as bright as your teeth can be. Depending upon diet, smoking, etc. everyone is different with how long your new brighter smile will last. Some people’s newly whitened smiles can last 6-12 months without a touch-up. Keep your trays and if you ever need a whitening touch-up, new gel can be purchased at your dentist’s office. Custom trays made at your dental office and your initial supply of gel can range in cost from $250-$500. Additional gel for touch-ups is around $50.
3. The last method of whitening is white strips and other systems you can find at your local pharmacy. Crest is the most well-known brand, and they have several levels of whitening from professional strength available only in a dental office to lower strengths available over the counter. This is the most cost friendly form of teeth whitening available to patients. Ranging in price from $25-$60 it’s easy to see why these systems are enticing. The problems with these over the counter systems include sensitivity, like other systems, and chemical burns to the gums. Because these strips are not custom fitted, the gel can seep onto the gums and traumatize the gums. The gums will turn a white shade where affected and can slough with pain after use. I don’t discourage patients from using white strips because for most, they are very cost effective. They can get you to your whitest natural shade over time, so they do work, but it can take more than one treatment (purchase) to get you there.
So whatever method you may choose, just realize what you are getting. In-office is brighter in 2hrs. Custom trays are brighter in 2 weeks, and over the counter strips are brighter in about 1-2 months. Also, you go from complete supervision in a dentist’s care, to do-it-yourself with no supervision from a dentist. Money and time frame are the deciding factors for most patients, but now that you are informed get those yellowed chompers back to bright.
Capstone Dental has been open for 4 months! It has gone by very quickly and we are growing fast. We are in the most visible building downtown located on the corner of Broad and High, we have great signage, and we have a great consultant pounding the pavement touting our new office. (Thanks, Fred Miller II-Bright Light Consulting LLC).
Those individual aspects are all doing their part to drive in patients, but the most rewarding marketing endeavor for Capstone Dental has been internet and social media sites. We ran a Groupon 2 weeks ago that gave our practice exposure throughout Columbus, OH which would have cost thousands in marketing budget dollars if we advertised on the internet.
Another site that I realized was a great marketing idea was www.ColumbusUnderground.com . It’s a messageboard site where individuals can post, comment and network all free of cost to its users. Capstone Dental gave away 2 new patient visits at no cost to messageboard users. The only “payment” was to review Capstone Dental on GOOGLE, YELP!, and re-post on the messageboard their experience in our dentist office in Columbus. My hygienist was not going to be busy this morning, so for the additional cost disposables, I received great exposure on the internet. We are a technologically driven office, so of course we are going to use the latest technology when we try to get the word out about our great dental office downtown.