Every year, many people will make resolutions to make themselves better. Whether it be to quit smoking, to lose weight, to learn another language, or something else entirely… the goal is to always better oneself. Please don’t forget about the health of your smile when you make those resolutions! If it has been a while since you’ve been to a dentist or if you’ve been putting off treatment because of anxiety, fear, busy schedule or finances, don’t let the excuses keep you from the smile you deserve. At Capstone Dental we have answers to all of those excuses! We have a professional caring staff and dentists to put your fears at ease. We have early morning and lunch-time appointments available for those with busy schedules. And we offer 0% patient financing through CareCredit for those who qualify. So, come check us out in our downtown Columbus office and see what modern, personalized dental care is all about!
When you go to the dentist, there is more going on than you realize. At Capstone Dental, we do so much more than just look for cavities. We complete an oral cancer screening, gum health exam, and examination of your bite and your smile. When we do these exams, we also have your overall health in mind as well. Links have been drawn to diabetes, heart health, hormonal abnormalities, etc. Check out this article from MSN on why it is so important to go to the dentist regularly.
Have you been wanting to brighten those not-so-pearly whites but don’t know which whitening method to choose? Discussed below are different methods of teeth whitening and drawbacks and benefits of each type. The three main types of whitening are:
1. In-office whitening such as ZOOM or Pola Office
2. Custom fitted bleaching trays with prescription strength gel
3. White Strips or other over the counter systems
1. With in-office whitening, the idea is to jumpstart your natural shade to a brighter white in a short period of time. Usually 1-2 hrs in the dental chair. The gums and soft tissue are protected with a barrier and the dental hygienist or assistant will apply the gel 3-4 times during your visit. This in-office whitening process can be accompanied by a bright light that is placed close to your mouth. Some systems, such as ZOOM claim the light further activates its gel, but most systems do not use a light. Usually coupled with this treatment are custom take home trays and gel to finish the whitening process over the next couple of weeks to get you to your brightest shade. Patients pay a premium to get this accelerated whitening. Office prices for in-office and custom take home whitening can range from $400-$800 or more. Remember that you are paying to get a brighter smile as fast as possible, under the supervision of the dentist’s office.
2. Custom fitted white trays can be coupled with the in-office whitening procedure, or be a method all in their own. Impressions of your upper and lower teeth are taken and then soft custom trays are made from the molds. The take home prescription strength gel is applied to the inside of the trays and they are worn for 40mins-1hr daily for about two weeks. During that time, you may experience some sensitivity. Anti-sensitivity toothpastes are recommended and if sensitivity becomes too severe discontinue usage until your symptoms subside. After 2-4 weeks you are going to be as bright as your teeth can be. Depending upon diet, smoking, etc. everyone is different with how long your new brighter smile will last. Some people’s newly whitened smiles can last 6-12 months without a touch-up. Keep your trays and if you ever need a whitening touch-up, new gel can be purchased at your dentist’s office. Custom trays made at your dental office and your initial supply of gel can range in cost from $250-$500. Additional gel for touch-ups is around $50.
3. The last method of whitening is white strips and other systems you can find at your local pharmacy. Crest is the most well-known brand, and they have several levels of whitening from professional strength available only in a dental office to lower strengths available over the counter. This is the most cost friendly form of teeth whitening available to patients. Ranging in price from $25-$60 it’s easy to see why these systems are enticing. The problems with these over the counter systems include sensitivity, like other systems, and chemical burns to the gums. Because these strips are not custom fitted, the gel can seep onto the gums and traumatize the gums. The gums will turn a white shade where affected and can slough with pain after use. I don’t discourage patients from using white strips because for most, they are very cost effective. They can get you to your whitest natural shade over time, so they do work, but it can take more than one treatment (purchase) to get you there.
So whatever method you may choose, just realize what you are getting. In-office is brighter in 2hrs. Custom trays are brighter in 2 weeks, and over the counter strips are brighter in about 1-2 months. Also, you go from complete supervision in a dentist’s care, to do-it-yourself with no supervision from a dentist. Money and time frame are the deciding factors for most patients, but now that you are informed get those yellowed chompers back to bright.
Capstone Dental has been open for 4 months! It has gone by very quickly and we are growing fast. We are in the most visible building downtown located on the corner of Broad and High, we have great signage, and we have a great consultant pounding the pavement touting our new office. (Thanks, Fred Miller II-Bright Light Consulting LLC).
Those individual aspects are all doing their part to drive in patients, but the most rewarding marketing endeavor for Capstone Dental has been internet and social media sites. We ran a Groupon 2 weeks ago that gave our practice exposure throughout Columbus, OH which would have cost thousands in marketing budget dollars if we advertised on the internet.
Another site that I realized was a great marketing idea was www.ColumbusUnderground.com . It’s a messageboard site where individuals can post, comment and network all free of cost to its users. Capstone Dental gave away 2 new patient visits at no cost to messageboard users. The only “payment” was to review Capstone Dental on GOOGLE, YELP!, and re-post on the messageboard their experience in our dentist office in Columbus. My hygienist was not going to be busy this morning, so for the additional cost disposables, I received great exposure on the internet. We are a technologically driven office, so of course we are going to use the latest technology when we try to get the word out about our great dental office downtown.
How is your New Year’s resolution coming along? If you are like most people you are feeling the dragging, cold winter keeping you down. Guess what? Spring is right around the corner and the weather will change. When it does, get out of the office and get that heart rate up. Walk around downtown Columbus and see what’s going on. The State House is celebrating its 150th anniversary and Columbus’ 199th anniversary this year, the Columbus Commons project is open at the former City Center Mall site, and there are new small businesses and restaurants opening around the square. Capstone Dental might not be your idea of a must see destination downtown, but if you haven’t been to the dentist for a while, you’ll be surprised at all of the technologies and educational tools we provide. So walk around, see what the city has to offer. You can keep up on your resolution and maybe add another for great oral health in 2011.
When deciding on a location for our practice Dr. Piper and I knew that we wanted to start from scratch. One of the more common ways to start a practice is for a dentist to purchase an existing practice, remodel it if necessary, and evolve it into his or her vision of what a dental practice should be. This usually happens in the suburbs or more rural areas where people live.
We chose downtown Columbus Ohio for two reasons. The first is because we wanted to develop a practice where we could make all of the major decisions from the beginning and control our own destinies as dentists. We wanted a completely brand new, modern facility that patients would want to come. The second reason was the need for a high-tech, progressive dental practice in the downtown business district. During normal business hours, there is anywhere form 70-90 thousand people working downtown. The majority of people go to the dentist during normal business hours, if they go at all.
Studies have shown that it takes the average suburban commuter 45 minutes to drive from his or her home to downtown, park and make it to their office. To then have a dental appointment back out in the suburbs, would require undoing that 45 minutes, added to the time it takes for a dental appointment. So instead of having a dental appointment scheduled over a lunch break, people have to take a half day or full day off of work, or don’t go at all. Our practice model called for a centralized location in downtown Columbus where convenience is the top concern.
The undoing of the commute is not a concern with Capstone Dental. We are a 10 minute walk from your office. Now your dental appointment can be incorporated into your work day like any other scheduled meeting. We stay on schedule to ensure no waiting prior to your appointment and we are thorough yet efficient when you are being seen. We offer early morning and lunch-time appointments. We provide the latest in dental technology and patient comfort and we focus on patient education and prevention.
Having a six month recall program is paramount in preventative dentistry. During normal check-ups, the dentist and hygienist can find potential dental problems when they are small, less expensive, and more easily treated. You are returned to work more quickly and with a greater understanding of the small steps it takes to ensure future dental problems are kept to a minimum. Capstone Dental is excited to be part of the downtown Columbus Ohio community. We look forward to developing a lasting relationship with our patients and be a part of downtown’s success and future.
The average person brushes his or her teeth for 30 seconds
- The dentist recommends at least 2 minutes
Around 50% of adults do not visit the dentist regularly
- Going to the dentist twice a year can prevent larger problems
Up to 80% of adults will develop Periodontal Disease
- Perio, not decay is the main reason for tooth loss in US adults
- Perio has been linked to heart disease, stroke, diabetes, premature and low birth-weight babies
You should replace your toothbrush every 3 months
- Over time, your toothbrush wears and becomes very abrasive to your teeth
- Germs love to grow in between your bristles. Replace your toothbrush immediately after a cold or flu
45% of adults will suffer from bad breath at some point
- There are many causes of bad breath. Decaying teeth, periodontal disease, bacteria on your tongue and digestive problems are just a few
25% of adults over age 60 are missing all of their teeth
- People are living longer, fuller lives. Taking the necessary steps today can ensure that you are chewing comfortably with your natural teeth for the rest of your life
Proposed COTA Changes Cause Debate –video link
Check out Capstone Dental on 10TV. Dr. Snipes was interviewed about the impact on retail in the Downtown Columbus caused by COTA bus stops and congestion.